WHALE SEASON IN MAUI
Whale Season is here in Maui! Humpback whales migrate to Hawaii each year to give birth and raise their babies. The best time to see them is from November to April. You can view them breaching from several scenic outlooks on the coast and there are also various whale watching boat tours. If you are lucky, you might also view them on an Air Maui helicopter tour, which gives you an interesting and unique perspective from above!
Humpback Whale Facts
- The population of Humpback whales continues to increase, with numbers nearing 80,000 from a low of around 10,000.
- Humpback whales can grow up to 52 feet in length and weigh up to 50 tons.
- Humpback whales have a large flipper, which can be one-third of their full body length.
- Inside of a humpback’s mouth is a baleen plate which they use to catch small crustaceans and fish. Adult males can eat as much as 3,000 pounds of food per day in the summer.
- They spend their summers near Alaska where food is more prevalent and migrate over 3,500 miles to get to warmer waters in Hawaii where they give birth in the winter.
- Pregnancy lasts about a year and mothers nurse their young for about a year as well. Humpback whales continue to grow for about a decade and typical life expectancy is around 50 years.
- Humpback males “sing” by pushing air through muscles near their blowholes.
- There are many different surfacing behaviors such as breaching, head slap, head lunge, tail slap, head raise, and pec slap.
- Kohola (the Hawaiian name for Humpback Whales) have been visiting Hawaii since the ancient Polynesian Era (1-600 AD).
See Whales from the Air!
If you are interested in seeing whales from the air, the best tour option is our West Maui and Molokai Tour. You are sure to see amazing waterfalls, the tallest sea cliffs in the world, and other amazing sights. If you are lucky, you could also see whales from the air! Try our doors-off tour for an even more up close and personal experience.
Humpback whales are truly amazing animals and seeing them from the air definitely gives you a unique perspective of this majestic and graceful creature. Here is what some of our guests have to say about seeing whales on their Air Maui tour:
““What a fun flight and welcoming guided tour of the island! I got the opportunity to see hidden waterfalls in multiple areas on Maui and Molokai including gorgeous views of islands, whales and the various deep turquoise and blue waters throughout the tour. If you’re looking for a phenomenal experience this is the tour you want.” – Tourist08191886228
“We did the doors off tour of Molokai and West Maui. The views were amazing, the pilot was great about looking for whales to enjoy also while over water. The music soundtrack was fantastic, including the timing of the Jurassic Park theme! And the pilot’s knowledge he was providing throughout the flight was great. The office staff was very friendly and helpful. I would highly recommend these guys!” – Wanderer05462351274
“Such a fun experience and an awesome pilot! We purchased the video and the pilot was able to even catch a whale jumping!” – lbateman2020
“We had a magnificent time on the Molokai tour. The sky was soo clear that we could see the top of the peaks! The towering cliffs and waterfalls were just breathtaking! Our pilot circled a group of whales. We could see their entire bodies and they seemed to waive at us. I highly recommend any aerial view!” – JanetteStone
“Air Maui was great to work with from booking to the actual flight. All the workers that we came in contact with were professional and put any fears at ease. Our pilot was awesome! Very knowledgeable with a great sense of humor. We were able to see whale, waterfalls, and so many rainbows. Truly an amazing way to see Hawaii.” – Jenni MAYENSCHEIN
“What can I say, Pilot Jim at Air Maui Helicopters was amazing! We saw whales, mountains, epic waterfalls… In my opinion, this was the best decision I made while in Maui. I recommend doing this tour on your first day here, that way you get a better idea of which places you must go see.” – “What can I say, Pilot Jim at Air Maui Helicopters was amazing! We saw whales, mountains, epic waterfalls… In my opinion, this was the best decision I made while in Maui. I recommend doing this tour on your first day here, that way you get a better idea of which places you must go see.” – HelicopterTraveler
If you have any questions about whale season or seeing whales on your Air Maui tour, please contact us at 877.238.4942 and our friendly staff would be happy to assist you.